Thursday, January 19, 2012

Glazed Lemon Donut Holes

Earlier this week I bought a bag of Meyer Lemons.  I've heard talk of these bright little cuties, but have never cooked or baked with them before.  They're said to be more orangey-lemony-citrusy (sp??) and sweeter than regular lemons.  I dunno, but they sure were juicy and smelled delicious!

Today I made Glazed Lemon Donut Holes!  (My Bible study girlfriends are sooooo lucky.) 





I used a lemon muffin recipe, and baked them in one of my newest kitchen gadgets, given to me for Christmas by my wonderful sister-in-law.  A Babycakes Cake Pop baker!    They are then dipped in a lemon glaze.  Yum!

Even if you don't have a little cake pop gadget as I do, you can deep fry the little lemony balls of batter.  They would be super yummy as well, I'm sure!

Anyway, here's the recipe for the lemon muffins with a few of my own adaptations, as always!


 Rich Lemon Muffins

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons course sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice  (2-3 lemons)
2 eggs
zest of 1 lemon, finely grated

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Insert cupcake liners into cupcake tins.  In a large mixing bowl. stir together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.  In a medium sized bowl, melt butter in the microwave.  Stir in lemon juice, eggs and lemon zest.  With a wooden spoon, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients and blend until well moistened.  Do not over beat!  Scoop into greased muffin tins, and sprinkle top of batter with coarse sugar.  Bake 15-20 minutes until lightly browned, but do not over bake!  Yield:  12 standard sized muffins.




Okay, to make donut holes instead of muffins, you will need canola or vegetable oil heated to 350 to 360 degrees in a deep cast iron skillet or heavy-bottomed pot.  Use a thermometer to check your oil temperature!  Too high and you'll burn the outside of the donut holes before the inside is cooked.  Too low and the donut will be an oily, soggy mess.  Use a small cookie scoop to drop dough in the oil.  Do not crowd your pot.  Work in small batches.  Flip donut holes over as they brown and then remove them to a pile of paper towels.  Flip them over on the paper towels after 30 seconds or so to dab off both sides.  Cool on a wire rack as you finish the frying.  Then, prepare a glaze for them, or toss them in a brown bag with powdered sugar.  Yum!!


My donut holes have a simple lemon glaze.  Simply whisk together 2 cups of powdered sugar and the juice and zest of one lemon.  Adjust the thickness of the glaze with additional powdered sugar or a few drops of milk if it's too thick or thin.  Drop a few donut holes at a time in the bowl of the glaze and remove to a cooling rack to allow the glaze to set up. 


Since this was a muffin recipe, I did make a few muffins too!  I love the crunchy top from the coarse sugar.  If you cannot find coarse sugar (called pearl sugar), you can use regular sugar in its place.  I made jumbo muffins, which are double the size or regular muffins.  My hubby will be so happy.  :)






So, there you have two lemon recipes!  Stay tuned for a third---I still have more lemons!!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment