Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Homemade Twix Bars

Wow, I think I gained a pound or two just typing the title!  ;)

I've been at home with a sick child for a week now and have ants in my pants.  Not literally, of course.  I guess I just have had a little more time to browse some of my favorite blogs this week (and eBay---oh boy, wait till you see what I bought today.....more on that another time!) and I came across this recipe.  I bookmarked it several days ago thinking I'd make it one day when I host my ladies' Bible study group.  Then this morning I realized I have all the ingredients in my pantry RIGHT NOW so........



Let me start by saying there are lots of other recipes for Twix Bars on the web.  Some are more time consuming and involved, making the cookie and caramel  layers first, then cutting them into bars, and THEN dipping them into melted chocolate.  Thus, the Twix Bars actually end up looking like the real Twix candy bars you buy in the store.  The recipe I made today is a little less time consuming than that, and you still get a mouthful of yumminess!  I adapted the recipe a wee bit from this one, but plan to make a few more adaptations next time I make them.


Homemade Twix Bars

Cookie layer:
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt

Caramel:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp corn syrup
1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk


Chocolate Topping:
1 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp shortening

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with aluminum foil.  Spray with non-stick spray.  (This will help you remove the bars with ease after they’ve cooled!)   Beat together the softened butter and vanilla until combined.  Scrape down bowl.  Add the flour and sugar and beat.  You will have a crumbly mixture that seems dry.  Press the crust mixture into your prepared pan.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and cool completely.

For the caramel, mix together  all the ingredients in heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring it up to a gentle boil on medium heat, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat but continue to boil gently for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from the heat and cool slightly.  Caramel will thicken a bit.  Pour over your cooled cookie layer and spread to the edges.  Allow to set for 10-15 minutes.


In a microwave safe bowl melt together the chocolate chips and shortening on high for 1 minute.  Stir until all the chocolate chips are melted.  You can microwave the chocolate again for 10 seconds if the the last few chips aren’t melted.  Pour over the caramel and spread to the edges.  Refrigerate for at least an hour.  Remove bars from pan by pulling up on the aluminum foil.  Remove foil and cut into 1 x 3 inch bars.  Yield:  39 bars 



Next time I plan to either make them in a smaller pan (perhaps a 9 or 10 inch square) or double the caramel and cookie layers.  I'd love more caramel and cookie!  Don't get me wrong, these are scrumptious, but I just like to tweek things and make them just the way *I* like them.  :)  I may also try dipping them completely in chocolate!  *drool*

Happy Baking!

1 comment: