Saturday, January 14, 2012

Tie Dye Cupcakes

I had some leftover cake batter today, so I whipped up some colorful cupcakes!  (How do I have leftover cake batter, you ask??  Well, tomorrow I'll show you the cake I made for a friend today!  SO cute!)  Anyway, back to cupcakes.

The batter was colored.  Teal, pink, yellow, green, and lavendar.  Lookie:




Despite my not-so-great picture, can you see all the layers of color?  Tie Dye!

To make these, mix up your favorite white or yellow cake batter.  Divide the batter between 5 or 6 bowls.  Color the batter with paste food coloring to your preference (i.e. pastel or bright).  Mix well!

Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.  (If you use white, as I did, you'll be able to see the colored cake after baking!)  Using a teaspoon, drop spoonsful of batter in each cupcake liner, one color directly on top of the other, filling the cupcake liners about 2/3 full.  Tap the cupcake pan on your countertop to level out the batter.  Bake according to your recipe directions.





You can apply this technique to full size cakes as well!  Use a measuring cup to pour batter in the center of the pan, layering each color directly on top, in the center.  The result is a super colorful and fun cake!!




No comments:

Post a Comment