Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hummingbird Cupcakes

Today I made these scrumptious, moist, delicious cupcakes to donate to a fundraiser for our local kindergarten center.  They're having a big vendor/craft/bake sale to raise money for the playground fund.  I don't have a kindergartener this year, but I did last year, and I will next year!  :)



Anyway, I made "Hummingbird" cupcakes!  Have you ever heard of Hummingbird Cake??   Perhaps it's a Southern recipe because several of my friends up here in western PA have never heard of it before.  It has crushed pineapple, mashed banana, pecans, and a touch of cinnamon.  Yummy!!  The recipe is from Southern Living Cookbook, circa 1999.  It reminds me of my friend Kim in Virginia because she's the one that first introduced me to it! 

The recipe yields a three layer round cake.  I made one a few days ago for my husband to take to work for his customers.  Apparently this cake was "the talk of the simulator room"!  Thanks, honey!

Today I made cupcakes with the recipe, with no adaptations.  The recipe yielded 24 standard sized cupcakes, plus 1 mini loaf pan cake, which my family gobbled up at lunch.  Hungry, we were.

Here's the recipe for the cake, as well as my own cream cheese icing recipe.  Enjoy!

·       
Cake

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained  
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups chopped bananas



1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
2 sticks butter, softened
2 pound bag (8 cups or so) powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
dash of salt
1-2 Tablespoons milk

1/2 cup chopped pecans for topping

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

Prepare cream cheese frosting:   beat together softened cream cheese and softened butter.  Scrape down sides of bowl.  Add vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar.  Beat on low, drizzling in enough milk to reach desired spreading consistency. 

Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Store in refrigerator.


Dawn's note:   the recipe says "do not beat", and to mix ingredients by hand.  However, I used my stand mixer as I usually do.  Lazy much?  ;)


1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I did a little research on the history of Hummingbird Cake, and this is what I read:


    In 1978, Southern Living Magazine published Mrs. L.H. Wiggin's Hummingbird Cake recipe in its February issue. This publication is the first known printed reference to the cake. Mrs. Wiggin provided no explanation of the cake's name in the issue, leaving readers to wonder as to its origin. Hummingbird cake quickly became the magazine's most requested recipe and was elected favorite recipe ever in 1990. It has won many awards at various Southern county fairs including the Favorite Cake Award at the 1978 Kentucky State Fair

    Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete