Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Leprechaun Hats

Aren't these little Leprechaun Hats adorable??!!!






I wish I could claim these as my own idea, but nope.  I saw them here and I thought they'd be so fun to make for my kids' classes at school!  (Visit The Domestic Rebel's blog for some other yummy goodness and witty words if you have the time!)

If you peeked at the link, you'll notice I made a few changes to the method of making these cuties.  I also didn't set them atop cupcakes.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love cupcakes as you know, but I seriously think my kids' teachers would call me nuts if I sent such a huge, sugary treat to school!  ;)

Anyway.......

This is what you'll need:




*jumbo marshmallows
*Fudge Stripe cookies (I found chocolate ones!)
*green candy melts
*yellow M&Ms or Skittles or Reeses' Pieces


You'll also need wax paper, cookie sheets, and black frosting, black royal icing, or edible ink pen.

Begin by laying out your cookies, bottoms up, on a wax paper-covered cookie sheet.  Melt the candy melts according to package directions in a deep, narrow bowl.  Dip one flat end of each jumbo marsmallow in the melted candy and place one each cookie. 





If you have room in your refrigerator, chill for about 15 minutes to set the candy.

For the next part you'll need a long-tined fork, like a dinner fork, and a spoon.  Drop one cookie into the melted candy and spoon the candy over the marshmallow, allowing it to drip down over the cookie.  Slide the fork under the cookie and tap, tap, tap the side of the bowl, allowing the excess melted candy to drip off the cookie.  Gently lay the cookie back on the wax paper.  Repeat with remaining cookies.






Place cookie sheet back in the fridge to set the candy, about 15-30 minutes.  While you're waiting, try not to eat the entire bag of Reeses' Pieces or M&Ms while you're sorting out the yellows.  *eh hem* 

Remove the chilled cookies from the fridge and pipe a black line around the hat and immediately stick on a yellow candy.  The black frosting will set up very quickly because the cookies are cold!





Have fun making these adorable Leprechaun Hats for your kiddos!  or yourself......!  ;)

7 comments:

  1. How cute! And such an easy idea on the fly for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! The kids sure loved them!

      Delete
  3. Another Pgh blogger visiting via the Pioneer Woman. These are ADORABLE! I'll have to remember them for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, hope you had a GREAT time!! (I'm jealous!) :)

      Delete