Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tuesdays With Dorie: Rugelach

This week's recipe, Rugelach, was yummy, messy fun!  I'd never made rugelach before, nor was I even sure how to pronounce it.  I'm still a bit confused.  Is rugelach a singular word or plural?  Should I capitalize the word?  Grammar police, help!

Anyway, this week's hosts for TWD:  Baking With Julia are Jessica from My Baking Heart and Margaret from The Urban Hiker.  Please visit their blogs for the complete recipe and some beautiful photographs of their rugelach!  (Rugelachs with a plural s??  Ugh.)





The rugelach is a cookie, I suppose.  The dough is a cream cheese dough, which is so tender, but not-so-sweet, which is perfect. 






After dividing the dough, rolling, and cutting in half, a homemade apricot jam, called "lekvar" is spread on.






Then a cinnamon-sugar mixture is sprinkled in, followed by dried fruits and nuts.  I chose cranberries and pecans.  Yes, this seemed to be a tremendous amount of filling for the dough, and I wondered how I would be able to roll them up.   A few nuts and fruits escaped, but it worked!






The logs were chilled overnight, then brushed with an egg wash and sliced.  I used my electric knife to simplify things. 






The cookies are then rolled in a cinnamon-sugar-nut mixture.






Then the cookies are finally ready to bake!





The result is a sweet, delicious, tender yet crunchy yet chewy treat!  These will definitely be reserved for Christmas or other fancy-treat occasions, but the recipe is surely a keeper.  Next time I think I'll cut them smaller and possibly omit the cinnamon sugar on top.   I'll change up the filling, too!  It's fun to customize recipes, don't you think?  








17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I won't tell you how many I've eating.... :P

      Delete
  2. How pretty! And what a stroke of genius to use the electric knife. I bet it made the slicing a cinch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my electric knife for baked goods WAY more than I use it for meat! :)

      Delete
  3. Your rugelach turned out perfect! And, I've looked through some of your past posts, and I'm so impressed by your cakes. I wish I could bake and decorate like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thank you for looking at some of my previous posts. I'm flattered. :)

      Delete
  4. Very yum! I love the electric knife. Simplifies things! I tend to chop my nuts/fruits really small, which help. It's funny because I think of this as more a pastry than a cookie, so I don't expect it to be crunchy. Glad you liked these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, sounds like you've made these many times?? And yes, I totally agree that this seems more like pastry. Not sure why I was thinking cookie in my post. LOL

      Delete
  5. So fun to bake along with you this week! Your rugelach look wonderful (and I think it's both singular and plural).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for clarifying, Lizzy! I had somewhat come to that conclusion, but it's good to hear it from someone else. ;)

      Delete
  6. They look like they came out beautifully. And I can see where it would be fun to play with the fillings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking chocolate next time.....!

      Delete
  7. Wow, your rugelach look great. And for the record, I have no idea how to pronounce it either. Can't wait to check out your blog more--it looks and sounds de-licious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katrina! I'm new at it (nothing fancy here) but am enjoying blogging. :)

      Delete
  8. your rugelach looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just took some out of the freezer to bring to my ladies' Bible Study tomorrow. Mmmmmm!

      Delete
  9. Your rugelach turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete