Friday, May 11, 2012

Banana Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting

It's Teacher Appreciation Week!!  I whipped up these cupcakes for some incredible teachers at the kindergarten center today, and though I didn't actually eat one, I can attest to their yumminess......because I licked the spatulas!  Haha!



I used the Banana Cupcake recipe from the adorable cookbook called Hello, Cupcake by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson.  This cookbook is SO adorable with some super fun cupcake decorating ideas.  I've made a few myself!

For the Nutella Frosting recipe, I visited one of my favorite blogs, Sweetapolita.  Please go take a peek!

I sure hope the kindergarten teachers enjoyed these treats.  For all the sticky hands they clean, shoelaces they tie, band aids they apply, hugs they give, and essentials they teach, they sure do deserve a treat!


Banana Cupcakes

1 2/3 cups  flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 medium ripe bananas
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 stick butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.  In another bowl, mash bananas and buttermilk.  Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time.
Add the flour mixture alternatively with the banana mixture in batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.  Scoop batter into paper lined muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.  Yield:   18 or so standard sized muffins  (My batch yielded 21.)
 
 
 
Nutella Frosting
 
2 sticks butter softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 ounces Bakers chocolate, melted and cooled slightly (I used semisweet)
1/3 cup Nutella
1 tablespoon milk
pinch of salt

In a bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine the powdered sugar and butter and beat on low speed for about 1 minute. Add vanilla, and beat on low speed until well combined. Add the melted and slightly cooled chocolate and beat on medium speed until smooth.  Add the Nutella, milk and pinch of salt, and beat on med-high speed until fluffy.  Spread or pipe on cooled cupcakes.

4 comments:

  1. These cupcakes look absolutely delectable! Your nutella frosting is the perfect topping to a banana cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, you're so right---I think this would be perfect on a banana cake as well!

    Next time I make these I'd like to dip some whole hazelnuts in chocolate as a cute little topper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I made butter cookies sandwiched with ganache and lemon cookies sandwiched with marscapone and lemon curd. Lucky teachers all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, those cookies sound divine!

      Delete