Friday, May 18, 2012

Monkey Baby Shower Cake

My friend Megan is expecting her first baby in a few weeks, so today we had a baby shower for her!  She is decorating the baby's room in a cute monkey theme, so I made a monkey cake.  Of course!




The monkey is made with rolled fondant, traced from clip art, and cut with an x-acto knife.  The trees were cut freehand, and the leaves were cut with a small leaf-shaped fondant cutter.  The letters are cut using my Cricut Cake machine (love it).



The cake was three layers of dark chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream filling.  Delicious!

Congratulations Megan!  I can't wait to meet your little one when he or she arrives!

4 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful cake…perfect for welcoming any little prince or princess into the world! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn, I have a co worker that we are having a baby shower for and I think I'll use your design for her cake! So cute! One question, I love the color scheme, but hesitate to do it because I'm not sure I can replicate the colors just right... can you tell me your formula for both the base color and the trim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! If I remember correctly, I used Wilton paste color in "Juniper Green" for the shade of green on this cake. I used the same color for the border, but just added additional color to make the color deeper.

      For the monkey, I simply printed a monkey coloring book page that I found online, enlarged it on my copy machine, and cut it out. I cut out the monkey's face and ears, too, then just cut around them with a sharp knife on the rolled fondant. This creates the layered look.

      Hope that helps! Good luck! :)

      Delete