Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Thumbprint Butter Cookies

My baby is graduating from preschool tonight.  My BABY!  How is this even possible?!  For the past decade (or so) I've had a child in preschool.  This is life changing for me as a stay at home mom.   Oh my. 

After the preschool graduation program tonight we're having a cookie social.  Kids and cookies go great together!  Parents were asked to bring a dozen or so cookies to share, so I whipped up a batch of these yummy treats.




The cookies are light and buttery.  I put strawberry jam on some, and on some I put chocolate chips, which melted on the hot cookies, creating a puddle of chocolate.  Yum!!

Here's the recipe, which is from Taste of Home.  Enjoy!


Thumbprint Butter Cookies

6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon butter flavor (I omitted this---I'm not a fan of artificial butter flavoring)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
assorted jams or preserved (or chocolate chips!)

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, oil, vanilla, and butter flavoring.  Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt;   gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. 

Roll into 1 inch balls.  Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.  Using the end of a wooden spoon handle (or your thumb!), make an indentation in the center of each.

Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.  Remove to wire racks.  Fill each cookie with 1/4 teaspoon jam;  cool.  Yield:  2 1/2 dozen.



No comments:

Post a Comment