Thursday, July 12, 2012

Easy Banana Fritters

I had a solitary over-ripe banana sitting on my kitchen counter this morning, begging to be made into some kind of breakfast treat.  We were too hungry to wait on banana bread or banana muffins.  Banana pancakes sounded too ordinary.  Then I had an idea----Banana Fritters!!






I began to heat up a heavy-bottomed pot with canola oil.  I used a candy thermometer to make sure I got the oil to the right temperature, between 350 and 375 for fried doughnuts.

While the oil was heating I mixed together some Bisquick, milk, egg, sugar, vanilla, and the lonely banana, which I mashed.

Once the oil was hot, I used my smallest cookie scoop to drop teaspoonsful of batter into the pot.




The fritters puffed and turned golden brown.   I used a slotted spoon to flip them over and then removed them to a stack of paper towels to drain.





After a few minutes of draining, I tossed them into a doubled-up brown paper bag with powdered sugar.  I shook, shook, shook them to cover them with the sugar.

The kids gobbled them up as fast as I could make them!!  I tasted one too......





Crispy and sweet and banana-y......everything a banana fritter should be!

Here's the recipe that I whipped up this morning.   Enjoy!



Banana Fritters

1 cup Bisquick Baking Mix
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons sugar
powdered sugar for tossing fritters in

Stir together Bisquick, mashed banana, milk, egg, vanilla, and sugar.  Heat oil to 350-375, using a candy thermometer to ensure the right temperature for deep frying.  Drop batter by teaspoonful into the hot oil.  Turn with a slotted spoon until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes total.  Remove to a stack of paper towels to drain.  Repeat with remaining batter.  Toss fritters in a brown paper bag with powdered sugar.  Eat immediately.  Yield:  about 25 fritters.

No comments:

Post a Comment