Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Ice Cream Sandwiches




One of my favorite treats is a simple ice cream sandwich.  Soft chocolate cookies.  Vanilla ice cream.  Sandwiched together.  :)

I like to let mine soften just a little bit so I can squeeze the cookies together and make the ice cream squish out the sides.  Then I lick the ice cream, all around the perimeter of the cookie.  I keep doing this until I'm left with just the cookies!

Yesterday I made homemade ice cream sandwiches!  What a fun treat for summer.   I used my favorite chocolate cut-out cookie recipe and store bought vanilla ice cream.  They're relatively easy to make, but are a little time consuming with the various steps.

Begin by baking a batch of chocolate cut out cookies, using any cookie cutter that is pretty basic in shape.  Detailed cookie cutters won't work for this. 









Cool the cookies completely on a wire rack while you do your dishes, play Uno with the kids, and make your grocery list for what you need to bring on vacation.

The best kind of ice cream to buy is the "old fashioned" kind in a cardboard box.  Remove the sides of the box and slice the ice cream into 1/2 thick slices.  I got 9 slices from one box, but I think I could have gotten 10 slices.  Some of my ice cream sandwiches were thicker than others.  No complaints about that, though! 





Next, use the same cookie cutter that you used for the cookies and cut the shapes from the ice cream.  Sorry I don't have a picture of this step.  My hands were covered in ice cream!

Sandwich the ice cream between two cookies and place on a cookie sheet (one that will fit into your freezer).  When the tray is full, place it in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm up the ice cream again.  You can then wrap the ice cream sandwiches in freezer paper and store them in an airtight container in your freezer.    Save those oddly-shaped pieces of ice cream for milk shakes, or plop them into an airtight container to make whacky sundaes another night.  :)





Here's the recipe for the chocolate cut-out cookies.   It's contributed by Robin J. on allrecipes.com.   I've used this recipe over and over again, and it's so easy to work with.  The cookies are fudgy and brownie-like.  I've decorated them with royal icing and fondant in the past, and they stand up to the task quite well.


Chocolate Cut Out Cookies

1 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
10 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Cream butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Mix in the vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa powder and baking powder; add and mix well. Wrap dough in waxed paper and chill for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Divide dough in half. Roll out each half to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with desired shaped cookie cutters. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment