Tuesday, July 3, 2012

TWD: Macadamia Nut and Chocolate Chip Biscotti

This week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe is Hazelnut Biscotti!

Since we just got home from our first vacation of the summer on Sunday evening, and it occurred to me yesterday morning that it was a TWD week, I had to modify things a bit.  I was unable to find hazelnuts at the grocery store I went to yesterday morning, so I grabbed a jar of macadamia nuts instead.  Flexibility, people!  That's what this is called!





I've made biscotti before, and always enjoy the process and the results.  The recipe calls for hand-mixing the dough, but since I was already taking the easy way out by foregoing the hazelnuts (which were supposed to be boiled on the stove to remove the skins, then toasted), I used my trusty Kitchenaid.  I added toasted macadamia nuts and a handful of semisweet chocolate chips and formed two logs on a cookie sheet.






Once baked, I allowed the logs to cool while I continued with my mountains of laundry.  You know how it is.  Post-vacation laundry.  Good times.

Anyway, I then sliced the logs into 1/2 inch pieces and laid them cut side down on a cooling rack.  I placed the cooling rack in the oven to bake the biscotti once again.






The result?  Super crunchy, perfectly sweet biscotti, just right for dipping into a cup of coffee, or in our case, a glass of cold milk.  And perfect for sharing with a sweet neighbor who feeds your fish and waters your flowers while you're away. 




For the recipe, visit Jodi of Homemade and Wholesome or Katrina of Baking and Boys.  They have beautiful pictures and lovely stories!

Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. I do love hazelnuts, but the combo of macadamia nuts & chocolate chips sound delish too! I love love love biscotti, but rarely make it because I could (& practically do) eat the whole batch myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that eat-the-whole-batch thing.....! ;)

      Delete
  2. that combo of macadamia and chocolate sounds heavenly!And what a lucky neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your biscotti look great! I bet the chocolate chips really made them tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a pistachio version. I love macadamias and chocolate. I'm caught up on the camp laundry finally, but it never does end. Lovely biscotti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pistachios sound great too!

      And yeah, why do these kids keep dirtying their clothes, like every day?!?! ;)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful biscotti - and I love the idea of Macadamia nuts and chocolate, makes me think of my trip to Hawaii many years ago:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love macadamia nuts too! I just wish they weren't so expensive, as with all nuts, I suppose. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, do I love macadamia nuts…your biscotti look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't tell you how many I snitched from the baking pan after I'd toasted them, before I added them to the dough....... ;)

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a perfect variation. Flexibility = deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! I've found some really fun flavor combinations by substituting one thing for another when my pantry surprised me. ;)

      Delete
  8. Nice cookies & I liked the lighting in your pictures. Looks like you had some nice light shining that day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cher! It's a miracle my pictures turn out as well as they do (most days) since I use my phone half the time. LOL! My regular camera is just a point-and-shoot as well. :)

      Delete
  9. Great call on the macadamia nuts! Looks good. Lucky neighbors! Your ice cream sandwiches look to die for as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathleen! I'm sad they're all gone.....! ;)

      Delete