Monday, August 6, 2012

Cheesy Cowboy Cornbread (a la Matthew)




My son brought me a children's magazine (an October 2009 issue--haha) the other day and said, "Can we make this mom?"  

I added it to our dinner menu for that night, gathered the ingredients for him, and we got to work.




Meet Matthew, my almost 10 year old, Lego-loving, baseball-playing, knows-what-buttons-to-push-to-make-his-sisters-scream son.  :)

The cornbread was simple and amazing!  We all enjoyed it with dinner the other night.  Even this sisters.  ;)




Cheesy Cowboy Cornbread

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups grated cheese
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray an 8 or 9 inch square pan with baking spray.  In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients----flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add the cheese.  In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, then add the milk and oil.  (We actually used melted butter because I didn't realize I was out of vegetable oil.  I thought olive oil would be too strong.)  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is moistened.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake for 35 minutes or until the edges are light brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment