Monday, August 6, 2012

TWD: Blueberry Nectarine Pie

I'm a few weeks late with this beautiful pie!  We were travelling for a few weeks (I *heart* summer) and now I'm playing a little catch-up with my Tuesday's With Dorie baking and treat making.   I missed baking while away, and my family is enjoying the results this week!






I will confess.  I'm 99% sure I've never made pie crust from scratch.  Yes, I've made pies and quiches, but always bought refrigerated pie crusts.  You're familiar with the red box, perhaps?   Anyway, I wasn't TOO intimidated to try pie crust from scratch.  I feel like I have a good base of knowledge of working with pastry, so I was excited to try, and was thankful for the "push" that TWD gave me!

Lo and behold, a beautiful dough!!




The filling is fresh blueberries and nectarines.  Half are cooked down with sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour.  The remaining fruit is added, then the filling is cooled to room temperature and poured into the crust.





I wanted a decorative crust on top, so I used a mini star cutter to make some cut outs.  Cute!




The top crust is brushed with an egg washed, then sprinkled with turbinado sugar.





After about 50 minutes in the oven, the pie was gorgeous and golden.




I love my new robin's egg blue pie plate!

The pie cooled while we were out for a few hours, but it was still slightly warm when we cut into it last night.  Oh my. 





The crust -- oh my heavens-- was so flaky and tender.  Far, far, far better than that red-boxed stuff!  The fruit filling was the perfect balance of tart and sweet.  Seriously, this might be the best fruit combination I've had in a pie.

If only we'd had some vanilla ice cream.....



The Baking With Julia hosts for this pie were Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake, and Hilary of Manchego's Kitchen.  Please take a peek at their blogs!!  For other TWD blog posts with this recipe, visit Tuesday's With Dorie.

6 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous!
    The crust is beautifully decorated: a pleasure for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For your first "from scratch" it looks absolutely perfect. And that pie plate is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful first pie crust! It took me many attempts to make a pie that came out so nicely. This was a winner, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete