Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Blueberry Muffin Bread



I had a bag of frozen wild blueberries staring me down in the freezer.  Actually, they've jumped out at me a few times over the last few days.  (Read:  freezer needs to be reorganized....)   The blueberries were begging to be baked!  It was obvious!

I obliged.  I whipped up two loaves of this beautiful moist Blueberry Muffin Bread.

I've made this recipe a few times over the years and have tweaked it with the addition of vanilla in the batter and crunchy pearl sugar on top.

The result?   Gorgeous, sweet, delicious bread, studded with bright blueberries, with a crunchy crust on top.  Perfection!

Here's the recipe!

Blueberry Muffin Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 2/3 cups milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup pearl sugar

Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350.   In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.  Add dry ingredients and stir just until batter is moistened.  Do not overmix!   Gently fold in blueberries. Spoon into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with pearl sugar.  Bake at 350° for 60 minutes (if you used fresh blueberries) to 75 minutes (if you used frozen blueberries), until a  toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs when inserted in the center of the loaf.  Cool for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack, then remove from pan and cool completely.   Enjoy toasted and spread with butter.





P.S.  In case you're wondering, I return to the orthopedist in two days.  I'm praying for the go-ahead to ditch these crutches!  ;)

2 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely loaf of bread…perfect for breakfast with my cup of tea! Good luck with the orthopedist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. My whole family has enjoyed these loaves, especially toasted with a schmere of butter.

      I was given permission to ditch the crutches---hooray! However, I must wear The Boot for another 4 weeks, and must take it slow. And no driving. Yikes. It's hard to keep me down.....

      Delete