Tuesday, January 22, 2013

TWD: French Apple Tart

One word.   Mmmmmmmm!   (That is a word, right?)





This French Apple Tart is absolutely delicious!    This recipe definitely tops all other apple tarts and pies I've made, from the crust to the filling to the topping.  Totally scrumptious.

That said, much effort and time are required.

The crust is made with both chilled butter and chilled shortening, which give it both delicious flavor and flaky texture.  





After preparing the dough, either by hand or in a food processor, it is chilled for several hours.  After I chilled my pie dough, I called for some very cute kitchen helpers.   My kiddos were home for the holiday yesterday, so I got them all involved!   We each made our own individual mini apple tarts.

6 year old Hannah is rolling over the tart pan to cut the crust!




8 year old Emma shows off her finished tart crust!




After chilling in the fridge for 30 minutes, the tart crusts are baked with pie weights, dried beans, or rice to prevent bubbles in the bottom of the crust and to prevent the sides of the crust from sliding down.  After baking for 20-25 minutes, the crusts are set aside to cool.



While the crusts are chilling and then baking, I prepare the apple filling.    Tart Granny Smiths are peeled and sliced thin, then baked with sugar, freshly made, soft bread crumbs, a smidgen of flour, and a dash of cinnamon.   The baked apple slices are mashed with their juices, then cooled.   Ohhhh, the kids and I could have eaten this by the spoonful!

While the pie crusts and apple filling are cooling, I peel and slice additional Granny Smith apples for the tops of the tarts.

The tart crusts are filled with the apple filling, and are then ready for the topping.

The kids enjoyed this part the best---arranging the apple slices!  I love, love, love how each tart is different.   What a fun and unique way to personalize dessert!! 

Before baking, the apple slices are brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with sugar.  (I used pearl sugar.)



 Finally, the finished tarts come out of the oven, gorgeous in color, tempting in scent. 



The kids were so proud of their individual desserts, but even more so, they enjoyed each and every bite.



Hannah (6), Emma (8), Matthew (10), and Ainsley (11 1/2) show off their tarts!

From start to end, these French Apple Tarts took the better part of the day to make.  They're not a quick throw-together dessert.  That said, they're worth the time and effort, and if you enjoy multi-step recipes, you'll love this one!

For the complete recipe, please visit Gaye of Laws of the Kitchen.  Or you can find the recipe in the cookbook, Baking with Julia, written by Dorie Greenspan.

 





28 comments:

  1. That is a perfect collection of individually sized desserts! Also, what a great family project -- nice way to get the kids involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little tartlets, and love all your beautiful little helpers! Such a fun baking project with wonderfully delicious results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! We all enjoy baking together, and this was a fun recipe to do together. :)

      Delete
  3. Mmmm is definitely a word. Such cute tartlets, I think we have similar small tart pans, I'll remember them for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these mini pans! I look forward to making a Valentine's dessert for my family with them.

      Delete
  4. All the tarts look fantastic. Your pics were really good. Great post! I really enjoyed it. And I love how you got your kids involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Should I confess that most of my pictures are taken with my phone??! LOL!

      Delete
  5. I love the mini tarts - they're so cute (just like the kids!) I think helpers would have been nice in the kitchen, there was so much to do! But the tarts certainly turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I got tired of peeling apples, didn't you?? :)

      Delete
  6. I love that you involved your kids! And what a great idea to make them tartlets - no fighting over who got the biggest piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun way to spend an afternoon together! Such a lovely family you have and the tarts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathleen. We had a great time.....baking and eating!

      Delete
  8. Dawn, you and your very lovely children certainly made the most pretty little French Apple Tartlets! Wonderful presentation! I love the fact that you got all your children involved in baking!
    Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! The kids came home from school yesterday asking if we had any tarts left. Uh.....you ate them all gone, kiddos! GONE! ;)

      Delete
  9. Aww - love your mini tarts, and even better, that each child decorated their own tart. They look so proud!!! It tastes better when you help to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, so, so cute! I thought about making mini tarts as well and I think I might next time. The boys would have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These mini tart pans are the perfect vehicle for many desserts. Even simple graham cracker crusts with a custard filling and some fruit----very kid friendly and easy!

      Delete
  11. Your minis look perfect, Dawn! How fun that your children helped...you're a fun mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone in your family should be so proud: what beautiful tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your minis! And what great helpers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tartlets came out beautifully - but they are not as beautiful as the children holding them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your mini tarts and you children are adorable!

    ReplyDelete