Tuesday, June 4, 2013

TWD: Savarin



I'd never heard of savarin prior to this week's Tuesdays With Dorie baking challenge!   Savarin is a French dessert, a rum or syrup-soaked yeast cake, traditionally served with whipped cream or custard and macerated fruit.  

This recipe had me concerned from the start!  Only 3/4 of a cup of flour in a whole cake?  How could that be??  Indeed there was very little dough!

The wet, lightly-sweet, yeasty dough had two rises.  The first was a quick 15 minute rise in the mixing bowl, and the second was a 30 minute rise in the pan.

Since I do not have a ring pan which is often used for savarin, a French cake, I used a springform pan with a decorative insert.




This is the dough before the second rise:



And this is the dough after the second rise.  Not much!




After a short bake time, the cake is cooled on a wire rack.  Then a hot simple syrup is gently spooned over the cake until the cake can soak up no more.  I knew the cake was saturated when the syrup began dripping from the bottom.




At this point the cake should be drizzled with rum or other liqueur, but since we refrain from such drink, I just continued with the recipe.  What's better than freshly whipped cream and sweet, syrupy fresh berries??  Not much!!





That said, the berries and cream were the best part of this dessert.  I am not a fan of soggy foods.  Wet cake isn't my kind of yum.   My husband, however, who enjoys a good soggy sandwich such as French Dip, loved it!   To each his/her own, right?

Please visit Tuesdays With Dorie to view other baker's blog posts about their experiences baking savarin this week!

If you'd like the recipe, you can find it here:  http://www.alacartetv.com/baking/recipes/savarin.htm, or purchase your own copy of Baking With Julia, by Dorie Greenspan.



5 comments:

  1. It looks so good with all those berries on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there were inserts for springforms - I think that's a pretty neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Cher, the inserts are a neat idea. Your savarin looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too preferred the berries and cream over the cake. This cake had an odd texture to me, though with the flavored soaking syrup I used it had good flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your savarin looks delicious and I am glad your husband loved it.
    I love berries but made mine with orange and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete