Tuesday, September 17, 2013

TWD: Espresso Profiteroles

This week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe is Espresso Profiteroles.   Not challenging, per se, but time consuming.  Worth it?   Yes!   However, I did cut a few corners in order to fit this recipe into my busy family's schedule.







I've never made profiteroles (or cream puffs) before, but ya know what?   Easy!   The batter, called pate a choux, is made on the stovetop, then piped into small rounds onto a cookie sheet.  These yummy bite-sized puffs are coffee flavored.  Brewed coffee is used as the liquid, and also finely ground espresso beans are added to the batter.   We are not coffee drinkers, so I wasn't apt to buy a bag of espresso beans for only one tablespoon, so that ingredient was omitted.   I had some instant coffee in the freezer, so I steeped an extra strong cup, hoping that would provide enough of a coffee flavor. 

Once baked, the profiteroles are light and hollow inside.






The recipe calls for homemade cinnamon vanilla ice cream.  Here is where I took a short cut.   I bought Breyer's vanilla ice cream, allowed it to soften a bit, then folded in a sprinkle of cinnamon.  Ha!

The ice cream is spooned into the center of each profiterole.  I used my small scoop for this task.






A sprinkling of confectioner's sugar would be wonderful, but a homemade chocolate sauce is perfection!!   (I omitted the called-for Grand Marnier, and used vanilla extract instead.)

My kids have enjoyed these little treats this week!  I think the recipe is a keeper, but next time I'll fill them with homemade whipped cream or vanilla pastry cream.  Yum.

If you'd like the recipe, please send me a message!  Otherwise, you can look on pages 411 - 412 in the Baking With Julia cookbook, or visit our Tuesdays With Dorie webpage and take a peek at a few other TWD bakers' pages.   Thanks for visiting!


7 comments:

  1. Those are some really cute profiteroles. Glad you really liked the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to tweak it some more to get it "Just Right" for my tastes! :)

      Delete
  2. I agree on subbing pastry cream for the ice cream. Mmmm or the whipped cream idea. Or both?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Wonderful job on your first cream puffs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pastry cream in profiteroles! Well, in anything - even by itself. :) Your treats look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the ice -cream melted so fast out here that I had no choice but to resort to chocolate cream.. and they were a treat!! and the best part.. I never thought choux pastry would be so easy!!

    ReplyDelete