Wednesday, October 16, 2013

TWD: Danish Braid

A day late, but this recipe is worth the wait.  I mean, wow!   Buttery, flakey, sweet.   Pastry perfection!






I'm already a fan of this recipe's contributor, Beatrice Ojakangas.  She's the author of one of my favorite cookbooks, The Great Scandinavian Baking Book.   With my Norwegian heritage, I love trying recipes from my mom's homeland!

The Danish Pastry dough is really simple to put together in the food processor, but then patience is required as it requires an overnight sleep in the fridge.

Rolling, folding, rolling, folding, etc. yields a dough that is flecked with butter.   And you know what that means??   Flaky layers!   Just look!





Okay, so in my haste to pull this recipe together today (a day late), I neglected to notice that the Danish Braid required only HALF of the dough.  Oops.

The result?   A super flaky, extra-layered pastry!   I'm not complaining one bit.



 
 
 
Filled with homemade strawberry jam and a simple cream cheese filling, then topped with pearl sugar and sliced almonds, this braid is a keeper, for sure.      Beatrice's recipe calls for the homemade jam with a confectioner's cream (pastry cream).   Equally delicious, I'm sure.  The possibilities are endless!    Apples and walnuts, peaches and cream cheese, plum, fig, blueberry.....oh my!


Please visit our Tuesdays With Dorie blog to view other baker's results!   If you're desperate for the recipe, just leave a comment.  Otherwise, you can find it in the Baking With Julia cookbook on page 205.



14 comments:

  1. that does look super flaky! and the strawberry filling is the prettiest pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed a small slice as my lunch. My family is gonna go nuts over it, I'm sure!

      Delete
  2. Wow!! That is one big and beautiful Danish braid!! The flakiness is incredible! Great job!! This really is a good recipe and not hard at all. I love it when a recipe is easy yet yields such incredible results! I made pinwheels with my other half of dough last night and took them to work today. (they were a hit!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinwheels---great idea! If I'd had leftover dough (haha) I would have tried that. :)

      Delete
  3. Your dough is sooooo flakey! Love your big braid! I do that too (not read a recipe through before starting)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me. But thankfully it worked this time! ;)

      Delete
  4. Your dough is so super flaky! Nice work. I love this one too! And was late too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're enjoying it. It was just as yummy today, warmed in the toaster oven for breakfast!

      Delete
  5. That is lovely :-)
    I have half of my dough in the freezer - I think its coming out this weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! What will you make with it? Another braid?

      Delete
  6. Great flaky shots! The strawberry version looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so yummy. We have leftover strawberry jam, and it will be delicious on English muffins!

      Delete
  7. Wow. That must have been one heavy braid! Doubling up certainly made for several flaky layers. Awesome recipes have come from culinary mistakes. :) Love the first picture - makes me wish I had gone with a berry filling.

    ReplyDelete